PARKS AND RESERVES
Parks and reserves managed by KWS
Select a park or reserve to view a list of hotels, lodges, guesthouses and camps managed by KWS
Kiunga National Marine Reserve
Enchanted underwater world
The marine ecosystem incorporates a chain of about 50 calcareous offshore islands and coral reefs in the Lamu Archipelago, running for some 60km parallel to the coastline and adjacent to Dodori and Boni National Reserves on the mainland.
The larger and more sheltered inner islands are covered with tangled thorny vegetation including grass, aloes and creepers. The small outer islands provide nesting sites for migratory seabirds. The reserve conserves valuable coral reefs, sea grass and extensive mangrove forests and is also a refuge for sea turtles and dugongs.
Major wildlife attractions include reptiles such as Sea turtles, Olive ridley, and Reef fish. Lobsters, Sea urchins, Sea star and also frequent sightings in the reserve. It is an important site for wind surfing, diving and snorkelling, water skiing and sunbathing.
- Roads: Kiunga is a remote, unspoilt village on the mainland about 150 km east of Lamu
- Airstrips: One at Dodori N. Reserve
- By Sea: from Lamu you can get to kiwayu Island by dhow or Speedboat
SIZE / LOCATION
- Lamu District, Coast province
- Area: 270 km2
- The Coast is humid with mean annual temperatures ranging from 22-34 C. rainfall is about 500mm pa.
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
- At present the park does not operate on smart card system. Entry is by cash only (KSH or US$).
- Coral reefs
- Sand dune
- Kiwayu Island
- Reptiles/fish: Sea Turtles, Olive Ridley, Leatherback, Turtles, Reef fish
- Insects/arthropods: Lobsters, Sea urchins, Sea star, Crabs, Mosquito
WHERE TO STAY
- Kiwayu Island is the only inhabited island to be included in the Kiunga Marine Reserve
- In - Park Accommodation
- There are two luxury tented lodges on Kiwayu
- Munira Island Camp: 2 kms north of Kiwayu village, this is a group of simple Bandas with restaurant and bar facilities
- Kiwayu Safari Village: nestled on a pristine palm- shaded beach this exclusive camp offers grass- thatched cottages, luxurious amenities and water sports
- It is possible to find simple accommodation in Kiwayu village.
- Wind surfing
- Water skiing
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Footwear, e.g. sandals or flip flops (to protect your feet from the reef)
- T-shirts (to protect your body from sunburn)
- Snorkel, mask, fins, all of which are available for hire
- Camera, hat, sunscreen, insect repellant
- Guide books
- PLENTY OF DRINKING WATER
- A friend(s)
||Kiunga National Marine Reserve