"The Last Wilderness"
Kampi ya Simba former home of George and Joy Adamson is synonymous with Kora National Park. The couple were wildlife conservationists and authors. They were depicted in the film Born Free and best-selling book with the same title, which is based on the true story of Elsa the Lioness, an orphaned lioness cub they had raised and later released into the wild.
The park offers a pristine wilderness dotted with tall Inselbergs and graced by the Tana River in which the Adamson’s falls, Grand falls and Kora rapids are found. Located in Tana River County, the park’s topography consists of rocky formations that create a surreal landscape, acacia woodlands and doum palms. The park is crisscrossed by seasonal rivers too and Tana River forms the northern boundary of this park and Meru National Park.
Wildlife found in the park include; elephants, Lesser Kudus, wild dogs, striped and spotted hyenas, leopards, lions and cheetahs. There are about 500 species of insects, 40 reptiles in the park. Visitors can enjoy bird watching, hiking, river rafting, fishing, rock climbing, camping and visits to the George Adamson's grave.
Area: 270 sq.km
Location: Kitui County
Distance from Nairobi: 280KM
The Adamsons Bridge, Wildlife along Tana river, the Adamsons Camp - Kampi ya Simba which is the former home for George and Joy Adamson, Pristine wilderness, Inselbergs, Tana River with Adamson's Falls, Grand Falls and Kora rapids, diverse birdlife, George Adamson's grave, fishing in Tana River and safaris to the national park.
Protected Area Type
When to go
How to get there
- Roads: Kora is 270 km to the north-east of Nairobi. Access is via Thika to Mwingi then north-east through Kyuso village.
Nairobi - Thika -Mwingi- Tseikuru - Kaningo gate
Nairobi - Thika - Mwingi - Tseikuru - Masyungwa gate - Kampi ya simba
Nairobi - Embu - Meru N. Park - Adamsons gate
Nairobi - Nanyuki - Meru N. Park - Adamsons gate
- A bridge (Adamson’s Bridge) across the Tana River joins the park with Meru National Park. The park has a road network.
- Airstrips: Kyethoni airstrip, Kampi ya Simba airstrip and can also be accessed through Masanduku airstrip in Meru N. Park
- Road Network - 4WD is required throughout the year
- Pristine wilderness, Inselbergs, Tana River with Adamson's Falls, Grand Falls and Kora rapids, diverse birdlife George Adamson's grave.
Park Entry Fee
Kora National Park
* Kindly refer to the Conservation Fees document below for other services and charges.
* Mode of payment; Pay for your entry to any of our Parks or Reserves via eCitizen government platform.
* Create a personal account on the eCitizen Government platform by visiting https://kws.ecitizen.go.ke and make park payments in advance for a fast and convenient park entry.
Contact Person:Warden Kora
Phone: +254 020 2321696
Kora National Park,
P.O. Box 11,