“Home of the African Elephant”
Crowned by Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest peak, the Amboseli National Parks is one of Kenya's most popular parks. The name "Amboseli" comes from a Maasai word meaning "salty dust", and it is one of the best places in Africa to view large herds of elephants up close. Nature lovers can explore five different habitats here ranging from the dried-up bed of Lake Amboseli, wetlands with sulphur springs, the savannah and woodlands. They can also visit the local Maasai community who live around the park and experience their authentic culture.
- Leopard, Cheetah, Wild dogs, Buffalo, Elephant, Giraffe, Zebra, Lion, Crocodile, Mongoose, Hyrax, Dik- dik, Lesser Kudu, and Nocturnal Porcupine
- Prolific birdlife features 600 species
Protected Area Type
When to go
What to take with you
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight.
- Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
How to get there
- By Road: The main road into the park is from Nairobi via Namanga (240 km) on the Nairobi - Arusha Road, through Meshanani Gate. The other road is from Nairobi via Emali (228 km) on the Nairobi - Mombasa Road. Access from Mombasa is mainly through Tsavo West National Park via Kimana (Olkelunyiet) Gate.
- By Air: Airstrips: The park has a single airstrip for light aircrafts at Empusel gate. Other airstrips exist at Kilimanjaro Buffalo Lodge and Namanga town
<li>Large Herds of Elephants</li>
<li>Observation Hill which allows an overall view of the whole park especially the swamps and elephants,</li>
<li>Swamp below observation hill hosts many elephants, buffaloes, hippos and a variety of water fowls like pelican, Egyptian goose</li>
<li>Contemporary Maasai culture and indigenous lifestyle</li>
KWS Self Catering
Park Entry Fee
Amboseli National Park
* Kindly refer to the KWS Conservation Fees document below for other services and charges.
* Modes of Payment; Pay for your entry to any of our Parks or Reserves via eCitizen government platform.
* Create a personal account on the eCitizen Government platform by visiting https://kws.ecitizen.go.ke and make park payments in advance for a fast and convenient park entry.