The Mwea National Reserve is located within Mbeere District, in Eastern Province, a distance of about 200km from Nairobi. The savannah ecosystem comprises of small hills with bushy vegetation and scattered large trees. Other areas are open grasslands while along the main rivers, large trees with thick undergrowth are found. Trees mainly found within the ecosystem are the different Acacia species and baobab trees. The ecosystem’s main features are the meeting point of rivers Tana and Thiba, Kamburu and Masinga hydro-electric dams, which harbour variety of biodiversity.
Major wildlife attractions include the elephants, Rothschild giraffes, Common zebras, Lesser kudu, Buffalo, Water Buck, Bush buck, Impala, Vervet Monkeys, Aardvark, Yellow baboons, Grants gazelle, Dik dik, Cape hare, Warthog, Black backed jackal, Duiker, Sykes monkeys, Genet cat, Slender mongoose, Stripped ground squirrel, Dwarf mongoose, Crested porcupine, Rock Hyrax, Tree Hyrax and tortoise. Hippos and crocodiles are also found in the dams and rivers. Different birds and reptile species have been recorded in the reserve.
- Elephant ,lesser kudu, Nile crocodile, hippo, giraffe, Burchell’s zebra, buffalo, leopard, grey duiker, black-backed jackal, bushbuck, waterbuck, olive baboon, sykes’ monkey, serval cat, spotted hyena, warthog, rock hyrax, bush pig, impala and hartebeest. Rare animals like; Stripped ground squirrel, Genet cat, Black backed jackal yellow baboons, are also found in Mwea
- Over 200 species of birds, Mwea is renowned for its water birds and waders. The only protected area in which the globally threatened and Kenya-endemic Hinde’s babbler is known to occur, the Reserve also shelters two other rare species; Pel’s fishing owl and the white-backed night heron
Protected Area Type
What to take with you
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight.
- Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks.
How to get there
- By Road: From Nairobi, via Thika-Matuu-Masinga Dam(160 km).this route is surfaced until Masinga Dam Bridge-a further 10 km of dirt road lies between here and Makima Gate. Access is also possible via Embu-Machanga.
- By Air: Masinga airstrip near Masinga lodge.By Air: Masinga Airstrip near Masinga Lodge.
- Game Viewing
- Boat rides at Kamburu dam
- Hippo Point
- Realm of Rare birds
- Walking circuit
- In - Park Accommodation
- There are no lodges, tented camps or self-catering accommodation options in Mwea Reserve. Masinga Lodge is located at Masinga Dam outside the Reserve.
Park Entry Fee
Mwea National Reserve
Non - Resident
* Kindly refer to the document Conservation Fees 2015 below for other services and charges